Cybersecurity involves every single device that is connected to the Internet because everything on the internet is a computer, completely hackable and prone to vulnerabilities that require patching to ensure that the data within the device remains safe.
Since every individual uses multiple internet-connected devices, cybersecurity has moved way beyond just companies. It involves individuals as well. The following techniques are the best ways to prevent a security breach whether you’re a company – established or a startup – or an individual user on your smartphone or wifi connected TV.
- Password Protection
Every device on the internet requires password protection to make things tougher for hackers. Your password should be;
- Long (12-20 characters is the ideal length)
- Strong (characters must include a combination of letters, symbols, and alphabets)
- Unique (simple words should be made complex)
For companies with an array of systems on a network, it’s best that every single employee is assigned a different username and a different authentication password. MFA (multi-factor authentication) is one way of strengthening the cybersecurity of companies. There are multiple factors – username, password, biometric identification, and location identification – that require clearance to access information.
- Network Segmentation
Saving bits of information on different individual networks and not just one reduces the damage that hackers can do. There’s no way that hackers can steal/hijack the entire data at once because all the networks are completely isolated. Network segmentation largely prevents;
- Direct malware spread from network to network
- Hacking all the data at once
As a result, recovering the lost information becomes easier and the monetary damage is minimized.
- A Competent Cybersecurity Team
The cybersecurity team of a company is responsible for;
- Adopting means to reduce the risk of a security breach
- Establishing a faster communication means so that employees can be alerted quickly as soon as the breach is identified
- Faster response so that the malware spread can be stopped
You can hire ethical hackers to be a part of your cyber team. Some other invaluable tips listed below can also make a huge impact.
- Implement KPIs so that you are certain whether or not the cybersecurity strategies adopted by your cyber team are competent
- Allocating sufficient funds so that the security team can adopt the latest techniques to strengthen the cybersecurity
On a closing note, it is also recommended that you educate your employees about cybersecurity and their role in strengthening the virtual space.